• Historic Inn

About the Inn

The Essex Street Inn was originally built as the “Lucky Livery Stable” in the early 1800‘s, It was sold and re-bought by a succession of merchants . Due to the Great Fire of 1811 it burned down along with leveling most of Downtown Newburyport. A new stable was soon built on the same spot. A large, barn-like building that the stable -keeper rented out horses , carriages and sleighs. In 1836 the property was purchased for $950.00 by an inn holder and two stable hands, reflecting a strong alliance with traveling guests, providing them with a place to stay and means of transportation to weddings, funerals whether by private coach or regular stage lines in which this stable functioned as a terminal. The stable’s large water cisterns are still partially visible in the present inn.

In 1879 the property was purchased by the trustees of the estate of Dr. Henry C. Perkins. The Perkins trustees owned other residential property on Essex Street and decided to add to their estate with a new building. In 1880 the stable was razed and in it’s place rose the present Essex Street Inn. Built in a conservative version of the style known as Victorian eclectic. A three story duplex style #5 was first rented to a sail maker and #7 was first occupied by the family of Joseph Titcomb Chase. Over the years #5 remained primarily a lodging house , while #7 served for many years as a private family residence.

Eventually #5 and #7 became one. A fifteen room lodging facility with three townhouse suites a joined to the back of #3 Essex Street the front was a rooming house. #9 ( formally the Captain James Kettle house) Essex Street was also a rooming house.

Through the years it had many different proprietors it was sold by the Pearson Family to the Guertin Family in the early 2000’s.

As of today all 3 buildings are combined on the same property make the Essex Street Inn a large 37 room facility. Added in 2007 was a small conference center and exercise room.